The formal organization of Wakefield Central Baptist Church was in 1868 at Rosinburg in the White Stone Masonic Hall. The church appeared in the Raleigh Baptist Association minutes in 1872 as White Stone Baptist Church with a membership of thirty-four. During the pastorate of O.L. Stringfield (1881-1893), the church moved to the village of Wakefield. Services were held in the Wakefield Classical and Mathematical School, and in 1895 the church became known as Wakefield Baptist Church. In 1905 a division in the congregation over the selection of a site for a new church resulted in the building of two churches. The Wakefield Church, called the “Woods Church”, was constructed near the present intersection of Zebulon and Pearces Roads. In 1909, it moved to Zebulon, becoming the Zebulon Baptist Church. The Wakefield Central Church was located at the corner of Lucas and Foster Streets, and the building was completed in 1908. In 1907 the church, having become known as Wakefield Baptist Church, joined the Central Baptist Association, which merged with the Raleigh Baptist Association in 1944. As the church progressed, more Sunday School space was added in 1925.
 
The church experienced continued growth during the following years, and in 1946 a seven-room parsonage was built on the corner of Foster and Proctor Streets. On April 4, 1945, the congregation voted to build a new church on its present site and moved into the building in 1956. On August 18, 1963, the church began using its original name, Wakefield Central Baptist Church. Through the years, continual physical improvements to the structure have been made. In 1980 the church expanded into its new educational building and fellowship hall dedicated to the memory of Johnny Hendricks; and on April 15, 1990, a dedication service was held for a new steeple. In 1991 a new roof was erected over the educational section of the original building, and the patio area was enclosed to become a new media center.
 
 
fb_img_1482374835117
More recently, the church has acquired adjoining property which has made possible the expansion of the parking area, the utilization of the Ethel Little House for youth activities, and space for future growth. In 2001 the Julia Ingram Missionary Residence was established through the generous offer of her family. In 2002 a construction project was completed adjoining our two main buildings which added much needed Sunday School and small group space. Currently, plans are under way to remodel the sanctuary.
 
Through the years the church has been blessed by the leadership of many devoted pastors who, along with dedicated members, have contributed to the rich heritage cherished by the present congregation.